It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Thursday, September 01, 2005
Hurricane Katrina
I've fought it tooth and nail, but I'm going to allow myself one smidgen of a post on Hurricane Katrina.

A) I am of the opinion that hurricanes should be named based on their projected strength- as opposed to arbitrarily. I'm sure more people would have evacuated had Hurricane Brock Samson been bearing down...B) Speaking of evacuating, I say anyone who stayed in New Orleans for the storm deserves the misery they find themselves in. Seriously, you had four days to get your fat ass and some important belongings out of town. It's not like a tornado or tsunami or something that can catch you by suprise- you know you live in a city below sea level, you knew 24 hours beforehand that the storm had sustained winds of 184 mph and was bringing at least a foot of rain, you know your trailer can barely stand up to the wash of truckers driving down the highway, and you should know that the entire Mississippi watershed drains down through your backyard- what the hell did you think was going to happen? If I was the Coast Guard I'd either charge you for the rescue or leave you sitting on your roof...
C) ... On the other hand I believe I feel what you humans call compassion for those who sheltered in the Superdome or just simply had nowhere else to go. I feel perfectly justifed calling Brett Favre a jackass for not evacuating his family, but I'm sure there were a lot of people who either couldn't afford traveling somewhere indefinately (many times officials won't open the roads back up to a city after a small hurricane for days) and/or did not know anyone to go stay with. I've heard scattered reports today that those in the Superdome will be transferred on a seven hour bus ride to Houston (torture in itself) where they might have to stay until December (Yeah, freaking December- one big room, 20,000 people).
D) Speaking of New Orleans, I wish there was someway I could speculate on Mardi Gras. I bet I could get in pretty cheaply at the moment, and if they ever host another one it will be freaking huge! Hell, I'll even think about going- it could be my last chance...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home