It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Tuesday, August 16, 2005
Bad Habits
I bet on my first horse race the other day. One aspect of working as a golf professional at a "Golf and Turf Club" (turf meaning horses) is that you meet a lot of trainers, owners, Rohirrim and other people who either know or love thoroughbred race horses. Acting on a tip from the guy who trained Afleet Alex and Songandaprayer (I passed on the first four tips from him and they all won), I put five dollars on Stream Cat to win and then put another six on a 3,5,6 trifecta box between Stream Cat and two other horses that were recommended. A trifecta is picking the first three finishers in order and a trifecta box is any trifecta combination of three horses. Depending on the odds (determined by the amount of people betting), picking a trifecta can pay well over a hundred dollars for a one dollar bet. I was also getting 5/2 odds on Stream Cat, so my $11 dollars could have netted me some serious cash. Stream Cat tore out of the gate and was leading (along with the other two I had in my trifecta) until he got kicked around the last turn and fell back to sixth, ruining all my bets. However, I had the field at the PGA Championship over Tiger and Vijay at 3/2 so that paid me $10, breaking me even basically on the weekend.

Also, I woke up this morning and there was nothing in my fridge except beer. So I drank until I wasn't hungry, then went to work- which I enjoyed more than usual. Weird. Also, I was the only one here in the morning- so does drinking by myself for breakfast make me an alcoholic? I would think it does.

1 Comments:

Blogger RJ said...

how's the beer gut coming? Do they have AA meetings out there?

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home