It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Thursday, August 04, 2005
IGN's Top 100 VideoGames
IGN has released its list of the top 100 videogames of all time. Some highlights:
#87- Thief II: Never played it, but Thief I rocked my face off with the ability to hide in shadows and kill unseen.
#83- Contra: Besides having the sweetest cheat code of all time, Contra made multiplayer fun.
#74- Syndicate: I never owned it, but I remember wanting it.
#65- Mechwarrior 2: The last game I bought new that would run on my dad's P133, four-foot tall Gateway tower (which he still hasn't upgraded).
#63- Sonic the Hedgehog: In second or third grade I got a Sega for Christmas. I don't think I ever got past Stage Three in Labyrinth Zone before my mom kicked me outside under the excuse that "The Sega was about to overheat from being played too long" (if you remember the wall power packs that warmed up after an hour or so of play), but I bet I can still beat the first level in under thirty seconds.
#60- Maniac Mansion Day of the Tentacle: I still love this game and I've spent hours looking through my house trying to find it.
#57- Mike Tyson's Punchout: I still don't think this game is as much fun as everyone wants me to believe. And I played it last year at college before my roommate broke the NES.
#51- GTA III: I've spent at least a couple days playing this game (probably well over 100 hours), and for some reason I'm still able to distinguish real life from it. Weird, luckily we have Hillary Clinton to save those who can't...
#47- NHL '94: I'm partial to '95, the original four way play for Sega, All-Stars West, and Sergei Fedorov back when he was cool enough to marry Anna Kournikova.
#39- DOOM: (I'll just quote IGN here) "The dark, disturbing hell-based theme, coupled with distinctly memorable sound effects from doorways opening, to hissing, howling and gnashing creatures, put atmosphere in the first-person shooter genre. Doom was packed with dozens of levels, awesome guns (the shotgun, plasma rifle, and BFG, for example) and adrenaline-pumping action. You couldn't look up, but it didn't matter. The game challenged your skills, saturated you with then-awesome graphics and sound, and genuinely burned into your subconscious. The fact that you could play multiplayer deathmatches via LAN vaulted this first-person shooter into gamers' hearts and minds forever." Exactly.
#34- Tony Hawk Pro Skater Two: Definately one of the most addictive games ever made, the only problem is that after you master the basics the game is just way too easy.
#30- HALO: If I ever meet the person who is responsible for ranking HALO behind behind Ms. PacMan and Super Mario Kart, rest assured that I will end them with a quick melee to the back of the skull before humping their body mercilessly. Best. Videogame. Ever.
#29- Goldeneye: Until the release of Halo, Best. Videogame. Ever.
#5- Super Mario 64: It was a good game... but not a top five game and most likely not a top fifty game unless you are an 11 year old girl.
#3- Tetris: Single most addictive videogame ever.
#2- Zelda Ocarina of Time: Right where it belongs at #2, only HALO should be ahead of it.
#1- Mario Brothers: Nostalgia strikes again... but easily a top ten game.

Although the list is fairly comprehensive, let me hit a few titles that I think deserve to be up there. (In the order they come to mind)

  • Dr. Mario- sure it's a clone, but I love it like Dr. Evil loves Mini-Me
  • Morrowind- any game that I skip class for a week for deserves a Top 100 (even if I can't find those damn dwemer airship plans). Paying $29.99 and playing into the hundreds of hours- it's as cheap as masturbation and twice the fun.
  • Hugo's House of Horrors 1,2, and 3- shareware Maniac Mansion and the first videogame to display pixelated boobies
  • Duke Nukem 3D- no explanation necessary
  • Interstate '76- the best game you've never heard of
  • Hitman and or Splinter Cell- Hitman is cooler, but Splinter Cell deserves to be there
  • Tiger Woods and Golden Tee- made golf cool at bars and parties
  • Medal of Honor/Brothers in Arms/Wolfenstein 3d/any game with Nazis as bad guys because... Nazis make kick ass bad guys
  • Warlords- Dark Lords Rising: an excellent mix between an rpg and turn based strategy
  • Excitebike- design your own levels? cmon that was huge
  • Commander Keen- non linear 2-d action scroller
  • WarCraft- StarCraft got a nod... but I think WarCraft is better
  • Terminal Velocity-

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with NHL 95 is that there wasn't fights.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I read the list the other day, did you get it from the Intern's daily links, I bet you did, anyways Tony Hawk and Halo 2 are my favorites, I like how you can jump from high up and not die like you couldnt do in the orginal Halo. Game I liked but wasnt up there, was a dodgeball game for the NES, so fun to play, oh yeah I beat sonice, but only by using a cheat code (it was well wotrth it)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Yeah, I ended up beating Sonic also... just not till I played it again in high school...

3:23 PM  
Blogger RJ said...

yeah, that's a pretty good list. I completely agree with you on Halo, Morrowind and Dr. Mario. Was super smash brothers on there? That definitely deserves some recognition.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Yeah, but I still hate it...

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home