It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Delay
The reason I haven't posted lately after a flurry of activity two weeks ago is this: I have not had internet available at my place. The wireless network aptly named "Boobies" went down while Time Warner Cable struggled to switch the bill from the former payer to the person currently responsible for paying. I have not posted from work for the obvious reason that I A) am much too busy at work to rush one out and B) I'm trying to keep the two as distinctly separate as possible.

This isn't a real post either- it's just a quick update, a picture, and then a quick something for you all to weigh in on. Everything above the picture is the update, and everything below will be the latter.Now I need some input: There is what appears to be a homeless man (he may or may not be homeless, he is most definitely a man) who networks for dollars outside of my office building frequently. Rather than the usual aggressive technique common to such in my area, he sits piled under blankets in his wheelchair with an open coffee can, and plays his saxophone. I most certainly would make an effort to give him money (most likely regularly because I prefer his approach and have sympathy for his situation) except for one thing- he's absolutely terrible at the saxophone. For someone who has an inordinate amount of time to spend practicing, he is the least accomplished player I've seen since the kids in Junior High who take band to get out of health class. If his work ethic for music is anything similar to his work ethic for work, then it is no wonder he wound up homeless. So my question is this- do I give him money? My current solution has been to bring my lunch to work and avoid the decision altogether...

3 Comments:

Blogger Atticus Finch said...

Perhaps his performance (or lack there-of) could be partially explained by frozen fingers and lips and exhaustion. That being said, perhaps half-credit could be given and occassional donations made. He needs money for food and he should start saving for a new leg, should someone run off with his disconnected prosthesis. The question is this: Is it removed for comfort or an attention-grabbing sympathy prop.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Mair said...

i say give him something. (Of course, I'm a sociologist which necessarily entails having a heightened concern for the needy. As one of my professors likes to say "sociologists can't be gamblers because we want every horse to win.") Seriously, though, I think you should give him something. Chances are he's a disabled veteran and the government has completely abandoned him after using him in war.

4:47 PM  
Blogger RJ said...

Chances are he thinks he's doing a public service by making the world a more beautiful place with his music. You should endevour to dissuade him of this misconception by giving him nothing and possibly stealing his can.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home