It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Friday, July 21, 2006
New Job?
The best thing about being a golf professional is the ease of finding employment, anywhere. Yesterday I was investigating a possible position listed on our job posting board, so I sent out a resume and a cover letter and *BAM*, formal job offer came through at 9:54 am this morning.

Formal job offer? Doing what? Good question. As I understand it, I will be employed as an independent contractor attached to a cruise line. Meaning? I live on a cruise ship, giving golf lessons and setting up golf excursions for passengers when we stop at one of the numerous ports.

Compensation is based on a strict commission basis- meaning I'm guaranteed to make at least $0 dollars a week (although generally people average $300-$400, and generally people aren't as dynamic and engaging as I am). Also, here is a quick list of things I have to pay for while on the ship: my bar tab. I get three meals a day, a complimentary cabin, and I will not need to purchase costly gasoline for my truck, since it will be sitting idle in some parking lot. However, after a couple months I should be getting bumped up to busier and busier ships, where $1500-$3000 a week is not uncommon.
Here are the pros and cons as I see them-
Pros: International Travel, Exciting work environment, and I get to stop with morally bankrupt activities like answering the freaking phone six hundred times a day, plus I have to consider the dollar bills, ya'll.
Cons: I live on a glorified houseboat (a very glorified houseboat), I really don't get days off or days away from the office, I don't have a guaranteed income, and well, the whole thing is really weird.

Decision? I told them I was undecided, so as an incentive, they offered to take me out on a week-long cruise just to observe, to see if I want to do it. Free cruises? Yes, please.

6 Comments:

Blogger GMack said...

Um...yeah. Take that sweet job. It is like being on a paid vacation all the time and the ladies can't get away from you because you're on a ship...plus hanging out in the tropics or whatever.

12:11 PM  
Blogger JMC said...

"I really don't get days off or days away from the office."

Shouldn't that read, "I really get every day off and always away from the office!"

Just a thought...

11:12 AM  
Blogger RJ said...

I dunno - call me a cynic, but I think it's a scam. It sounds too much like mass marketing and stuff like that. The good news is that you really have practically nothing to lose....they'll feed and house you, so if you make no money, you can go have a good adventure for practically free meeting interesting people and sailing across the world. So why the hell not? I'm just skeptical about whether or not you'll be able to make any serious cash, and whether or not your cabin will totally suck. But what do I know? Just ask to see the cabin first, and find out exactly how much space you're going to have, and what kind of food you get to eat, and whether or not you'll be sharing this cabin with a mop and bucket.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

As soon as I get a passport and a physical (needed for some reason) I'll be heading down for a free three or four day cruise to check things out. If it seems totally sweet and my accomodations are totally acceptable and whoever I'm observing seems to be making totally appropriate money, then well, maybe I'll do it.

J. Morgan- Hanging out with people and being dynamic and engaging and whatnot may seem like a totally awesome job, but it's work in its own right. And since I hate people for the most part, it's excruciatingly brutal some days.

9:54 PM  
Blogger GMack said...

Dude, even if you only made $200 a week it would be all in your pocket since you have no expenses.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Yeah, but I make more than $200 a week (in free cash) right now, and I rarely work more than 30-34 hours. And I like having days off...

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home