It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
More Registrar Goodness
I'm not much of a believer in predestination, but I've come to realize that certain people are doomed to certain fates, and mine is to be continually harassed and abused by the offices of the registrar for various colleges, lesser colleges, and scumbag community colleges.

Here's my current situation- I need two classes left to complete my undergraduate degree, Intro to Computers and an English Lit, any English Lit. Seeking to circumvent the inevitable hassle of filling out a visiting student letter and getting it approved at the Methodist College (the nexus of registrar hell) I found both classes at a community college in NC, and they're preapproved for tranferable goodness thanks to an articulation agreement.

Before I could take them, I had to fax in a transcript to the new community college. No problem, I faxed a transcript request to Methodist college. Like every other transaction of any importance that ever occured between me and the Methodist College registrar, this one had little chance of success. It's been two weeks, and the transcript still hasn't arrived. Luckily, I also talked to my advisor, and had her fax an unofficial to me directly. I then faxed this one to my new academic advisor at Butthole Community College, who told me I now need one from Grove City to attest that I completed Calc 1 and Calc 2 with a C- or higher. Why? Because I need a math prerequisite before taking Intro to Computers... the conversation on the phone went something like this.

"I can't tell what you actually got in these math classes, the transcript just shows that they transfered in as Pass."
"Yeah, they don't accept anything as tranfer credit lower than a C-, it's in their policy. Will that work?"
"No, this won't go through since there is no way to prove you didn't get a D in these classes."
"Well, except for the fact that if I had gotten a D, they wouldn't show up on the trancript as credit hours, because they wouldn't have been accepted."
"You're going to have to get me an official transcript from Grove City."
"Ma'am, what is the closest grade to a D you see on the rest of that transcript?"
"Umm... a B+..."
"Right, so judging by the fact that I've got a 3.95 for those other 100 credit hours, do you really think I got a D?"
"I'm going to have to get a transcript from Grove City..."
"Ok, but it will probably take a few days, and then the classes I need will most likely be filled, right?"
"Maybe, but I can't get you in unless you get me that transcript or pass our math placement test."
"What's on this math placement test?"
"You have to test out of at least algebra one, the test consists of numeric problems, and some basic algebra..."
"Fine, whatever. I'll take it, does it cost money?"
"Yes, the test is $50 and the next one is Thursday afternoon..."
"So, by then my classes will probably be filled right?"
"Mayb..."
"I'll try to get a transcript faxed in the morning."

Chance of me graduating ever? Unlikely.

1 Comments:

Blogger GMack said...

That's it. At least you made her feel like a moron. You've secretly won the war of respect.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home