It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Friday, July 07, 2006
New Toys
I finally joined the dark side with the purchase of my first non-pc computer. It's a Powerbook G4, 1.25 GHz, 512 mb RAM, 80 Gig machine of pure madness, and it could be here either this afternoon or most likely, Monday. I've been watching it's progress with the Fed-Ex tracking system and it should have arrived today, but it got held up in Virginia Beach, where it ate someone's puppy, and then washed it down with a drum of diesel fuel. That's how tough it is.

However, when I bought my Mac on Wednesday, I made sure to buy it off of eBay so it doesn't directly violate my number one personal maxim- Always support companies you own stock in. Since then, I've unloaded my MSFT today for a tidy gain, doubled down again on PSUN (the bane of my existence, I'm down roughly the value of two powerbooks on it since the spring), and realized that a host of my current peripherals will no longer work. This is in no way a bad thing.

Consequently, I now require a new mp3 player and digital camera. I worked out a deal with my brother where I'm trading him my old computer, camera, and mp3 player and in return he is reimbursing me for the roughly the cost of an IPod, minus the cost of shipping my old desktop up to PA. It's a win-win situation. I no longer have to haul some 400 odd cubic feet of vacuum tubes, cathode rays, and cast-iron transistors in the bed of my truck when I move every five months, and he gets a machine that can actually burn cd's.

Buying an IPod presents a whole new set of challenges though. I have to 1) figure out a way to get one with in any way condoning the music of the Bono

"I'm Steve Jobs corporate monkey!"

2) decide whether or not I really need one that plays video (I don't, I think) and 3) find one that does have Tetris.

2 Comments:

Blogger GMack said...

That sounds like one sweet deal. I hate hauling around cathode rays...or a corporate monkey for that matter. Nothing like having to stop and feed him memos mixed with business acronyms every 15 minutes.

9:20 PM  
Blogger JMC said...

Good work my man. You won't ever look back (unless you use Quicken or Quickbooks, which completely sucks on OSX).

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home