It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
An Anti-Bush Post?
First, the post-modernism post below is still going. So I'm not giving up on it yet. I want at least one J. Morgan comment to make me feel validated before I'm ready to throw it out.

Second, I read this article about "The Great Conservative Crack-Up" today while not paying attention in my Management Science class, and in honor, I'll make one lone post against the President.

One thing I really can't stand about George Bush is how everything has to be framed in context of moral absolutes. For example, I was watching a press conference this morning on CNBC, and he said- "I think not extending the tax cuts would be wrong." Wrong? I'll agree that it is economically short-sighted, but I'm going to stop short of putting tax hikes up with sloth and lechery. For the most part, I'm of the opinion that a majority of government action is morally neutral. I don't think that Moses lost the third tablet containing commandments regulating the correct amount of farm subsidies, smoking bans, and tax exemptions anymore than I think the snake told Eve, "Eat the fruit, and then we'll go kick the riff-raff off the welfare rolls!" It seems to me that arguing for or against legislation devoid of moral overtones on a good/evil basis does nothing to help frame the argument responsibly or reach a consensus based on the merits of the issue. If you want me to vote for tax cuts, then preach the Laffer Curve or point out that the government raised more revenue with the cuts than without. Don't tell me that Ted Kennedy wants to cancel Christmas so that abortion clinics can have an extra day to slay babies.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I think you're forgetting two things:
1. The average American is willfully ignorant and will not understand the economics behind a decision like tax cuts, but they will vote on it anyway.
2. The people who got Bush where he is today like everything framed in the context of moral absolutes. Bush learned his politiking in Texas, and he's still riding on those good old fashioned irrational Texas principles!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Good points. I'd be trying already to start a meritocracy if I didn't need those ignorant rednecks to cancel out the votes of Charles and the rest of his educated, relativist pals...

9:08 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Whether the Laffer Curve would genuinely raise revenues or not is irrelevant to the point. My point is that I would rather have policy pushed by reasoning that falls within the realm of the policy than by trying to equate one side as "good" and the other side as "evil".

12:41 AM  
Blogger CharlesPeirce said...

If there's one thing certain in this world, it's that I am an educated relativist.

7:52 AM  
Blogger E.A.P said...

I agree with your points, but I have to point out: really well written. The way you framed it, executed it, and then splashed some particulars in for effect - well done. Long live pith!

FYI: Word Verification is "svwvect" and never, especially with their particular fontage, has my alphabet looked more alien and merely symbolic than when trying to decipher that. I wish I were still in 20th Century Philosophy class so I could remember how to make that sound sweet.

That is all.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home