It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Monday, February 27, 2006
Weird Science and Videogames
I've read this article a couple of times, and I'm still not sure what it means...

Also, recently I've been playing a good deal of Spartan: Total Warrior for Xbox. Overall, it's a pretty sweet button mashing hack and slash. The controls are intuitive, the violence is bloody, and the soundtrack blends techno and epic music without feeling contrived.
Suffer the wrath of my Socratic irony!

Granted, a lot is really going to have to go wrong before I refuse to play a game that allows me to battle my way through hundreds of years of history and myth (sure Beowulf doesn't belong here, but that dosen't make fighting him any less cool) as a badass Spartan warrior, but the game suffers from several major design flaws. A few of these are game specific, but the rest represent things that I can't stand in any videogame.
  1. Objectives involving protecting NPC's or objects- This has been a staple of videogames for years, and it really needs to be discontinued until either AI gets exponentially smarter or game designers find a way to make it not suck. Nothing frustrates me more than fighting off a legion of enemies only to have the protectee walk casually into some hazard and force me to redo the mission. In the case of Spartan- forcing me to protect multiple grainstores from hordes of barbarian warriors just sucks the fun out of gaming. The physics of existence require me to be in one place at one time, and asking me to violate this just makes me angry, especially when my cadre of allies can't recognize enemies across certain invisible, arbitrary boundaries.
  2. Poor AI in general- Sure, the first time I knocked over a flaming brazier and knocked some Romans into it was sweet. However, this was tempered against discovering that I could quickly dispatch of fifty enemies by running from one side of the fire to the other, while the mongloid soldiers chased me directly through the flames, killing themselves. I'm all for being able to use the environment to your advantage, but a central tenet of this is NPC's should also be dynamic enough to recognize obvious traps and dangers.
  3. Arbitrary boundaries- if the game has to be linear, then don't go through the trouble of animating extra space protected by invisible walls. Only make the level as big as what can be used. I can't remember exactly what game it was, but in one WWII game I remember having to fight my way down a narrow street protected by multiple machine gun nests, when all I wanted to do was run around the barn and flank, but couldn't because of a two foot high fence. I recently took a poll of WWII veterans and imagine my surprise when 100% of them responded that they would rather climb a fence than walk straight into machine gun crossfire.
  4. Poorly designed checkpoints- remember playing Halo and getting a checkpoint with one bar of health right before having to fight four platinum elites? It sucked. Now imagine that, only without the option to restart the level and with the checkpoints placed at larger breaks in action. If I just had to massacre two hundred Romans in a courtyard before running off to the other side of the city in a cut scene, it isn't ridiculous to ask that my health should be refilled before jumping into action again. Especially when numerous archers have the option to pick me off before I can engage them. On a semi-related note, don't animate cut scenes for frequent tasks like opening chests if I'm immobilized during the scene and my enemies aren't. A quick example would be me standing immobilized in front of a chest waiting for it to open, while the Hydra gets a free chomp. If it has to take me time to do it and it's crucial that everyone else still be able to move, then don't put it in a cut scene and give me the option to cut the action short if need be.
  5. Recipe bosses- I can't stand fighting a boss and having him instantly kill you multiple times before you learn the pattern and then easily dispatch him without taking any damage. This almost makes me wish for turn based combat, but not really...

14 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I agree with your points. I would have to add quests that require you to run great distances across relatively empty spaces... just to prove that you really don't have a life and would rather run a video game character across a fake world than participate in normal society. Those piss me off a lot. Even worse is when you are attacked constantly along the way by creatures that you get almost no benefit from defeating. JUST BECAUSE YOUR GAME TAKES 267249 HOURS TO BEAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS A GOOD GAME. IT PROBABLY MEANS THAT YOU SUCK AT PLOT AND SUBSTITUTED ANNOYING, TIME CONSUMING, MIND NUMBING REPEATED ACTION FOR A REAL STORY. GO GET A DEGREE IN SOMETHING. I HATE YOU.

8:45 PM  
Blogger RJ said...

I agree with you, but I just can't seem to match your rage.

11:23 AM  
Blogger RJ said...

Never mind, I can - those games are retarded.

Thanks for saving me the time of playing that one. Three cheers for Morrowind, and here's to Oblivion. I think I'm going to quit my job and live in my basement without eating or showering once that game comes out.

11:27 AM  
Blogger GMack said...

I totally have to agree with all of you. Another thing that totally chaps my ass is when you run along those vast spaces and get to the end of the level only to find that you missed some checkpoint on the map a while back and the game will not let you progress to the next point until your character gets within 3.5 meters of the stupid NAV point.

I totally agree with the dumb AI, although it really does come in handy for those stupid levels when you need to kill 46,000 enemy troops and you only have one blinking heart left for your health. You can rely on the dumb AI and just have them kill each other off. Ok, and speaking of AI, so what is up with the different grouping commands for when you have friendly people. Take for example the game Dungeon Seige II. I have several characters and I have different ways to have them fight, but really nothing changes except the geometrical design in which my people stand. The dumb mages still run into battle and get themselves killed. What is the deal with that?

5:54 PM  
Blogger GMack said...

I also think I will live in my basement once Oblivion comes out. Oh wait, I don't have a basement. And I don't have an Xbox 360. I think I will just use Limewire to download lots of in-game videos from people who own it and just watch those instead.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I've got a new one to add- random death. I understand that in a real battle I could be hit by an arrow at any time and die. However, for the purpose of videogames, it shouldn't mean that on the hardest difficulty (the only way to play) I can't move more than three feet from the starting position before an arrow hits me EVERY TIME- regardless of which way I run.

7:51 PM  
Blogger RJ said...

gmack - you can come live in my basement with me, but we might have to shower then. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

you can come too, jacks.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

No showers! Not until we find the Dwemer airship plans! However, with no showers I move we replace the chest bump with maybe some eye contact and a nice thumbs up, not that I don't enjoy your musk.

12:01 AM  
Blogger GMack said...

Speaking of Dwymer Airship plans, that is another thing that ticks me off...losing a key part of the plot because you kill the wrong person. Now I totally understand if it was because they had to tell you something important...but if they are holding something that you need, say the Dwymer Airship plans, then you should be able to get them once you killed them. Also, I get ticked about the occasional getting your character stuck on some unseen obstacle and then either having to restart the game or move your character around for like 5 minutes until you find your way back out of the tricky "air maze".

11:40 AM  
Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

Not being much of a games master (actually, really sucking at it!) I thought I would comment on that amazing article about this planet only being inhabited by females. Wow! I wonder if there is any real scientific research to back this up? If so, I bet the 'sunset clause' is not for another 500 billion years, which is safely in the time zone of the universe spreading itself so thin that nothing organic can exist in it anymore.
So cloning is anathema to people but the though of only females around isn't? Interesting.

2:43 PM  
Blogger GMack said...

You aren't fooling anyone with your stupid antics and clever wit Chuck. You are a die hard gamer. In fact, you probably have a chair with the speakers built right into it and a controller attached which has the option of being wireless when you get really into the game.

12:00 AM  
Blogger GMack said...

Oh, and by Chuck I mean hans-georg gadamer...if that is your real name.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Hans- I think perhaps more interesting questions would be "How soon will this make polygamy socially acceptable?" or "Do you think anyone will watch the WNBA?"

10:48 AM  
Blogger Hans-Georg Gadamer said...

Yes, if the WNBA is the only basketball to watch, I bet the ratings won't change. Women would rather imagine a NBA game than watch that.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home