It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Wednesday, February 08, 2006
Bad News
I had to take a basic computer science test today to fulfill my requirement for the intro to computers class here at college (because apparently two programming classes, Business computing, and the fact that I'm not an idiot wasn't enough). I had to get an 80% to test out, and I got a 79%. The worst part is that I missed 6 (out of 100) points because I wasn't familiar with MLA format. Yeah, I still can't figure out why I needed to know that either.

For the part of the test where a sample Word document was to be created, half of the points (6 out of 12.5) were contingent on putting up MLA headers/margins/font/etc... which lead to this conversation with the proctor after I had finished the rest of the test.

"What are the MLA margins?"
"You're supposed to know."
"Why? I thought this was a computer literacy test?"
"It is... that's something we cover in CSC 100."
"That has nothing to do with computers- whatever, I don't even care..."

Two minutes later-

"You can't look it up on the internet! That's cheating!"
"What? Why? Doesn't that just show how totally computer literate I am? I thought the whole point of this test was to prove I could use a computer? You should be giving me extra points."
"You are the one trying to test out of the class, you're supposed to know what the class covers."
"Well, if I was trying to test out of an English class, I might have gone out of my way to learn it once before I never used it again..."

...so I guessed on the margins, fantasized about kicking the proctor in the kidney, turned in my paper and walked out, and missed the grade by one point, which means I'm going to have to pay $550 this summer to take one class where I learn what a keyboard is for, and how to make an Excel spreadsheet. This is the type of thing that makes me want to drop out of college and move to China to play and sell online role-playing characters for $75 a month, or at least drop out of college...

4 Comments:

Blogger GMack said...

Heck yeah for selling RPG characers for $75 a hour. I usually charge a little less, but I put a fundamental flaw deep in my character stats in order to keep the rich American player to come back for continued help at the more expensive character consultant fee of $200 up front plus $100 an hour.

8:07 PM  
Blogger JMC said...

You can't retake the exam?

8:44 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

No... you only get once chance to test out of the class... gay!

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So basically that test owned you, just like me and all the sports we play

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home