It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Thursday, March 08, 2007
Broken Window Theory
You may not be able to see much from this picture, but if you were able to look closely (and possibly pop the hood) you would see that the plastic grill in the front of my old truck is loose, smashed, and pinned up between the rest of the truck. Why? Because two years ago I was driving from Ocala to Orlando, and a semi threw a piece of retread the size of a brick and scared the crap out of me. Why is this relevant? Why am I posting pictures of a vehicle I haven't driven for four months?

Two reasons: The first is that a semi threw a rock a few months ago and put two gouges in the driver's side of my brand new month old Civic. The second is that a couple of days ago I was passing another semi on the inside lane of the highway (the asshole thought he was going eighty apparently) and I was hit yet again with another chunk of retread. Where? Here's where:The underside of my driver's side mirror, and it was 12 degrees outside, and it shattered. Son of a bitch. There are two main questions here: 1) Why does God hate me? and 2) Why the hell are semi trucks allowed to drive on the road without something better than those tiny mudflaps equipped to drop flying, rubbery shrapnel? Honestly, I don't know, but I'm getting close to the point where I'm frustrated enough to start a Facebook group against semis, and if I get hit again, I'll probably pee on the next one I see parked unattended in a parking lot. If there is one bright side to this story, it's related to broken window theory. I would have been materially more pissed had this been the first thing to have fucked up my car.

Lastly, I had a thirty dollar plate of lobster ravioli tonight that severly underperformed my expectations. Why is it that the more expensive the entree, the less you get with it, and the hungrier you are when you leave the restaurant? If you have to know, I'm washing down that shit with no small part of a six dollar bag of chicken nuggets, some barbeque sauce and getting grease all over my keyboard while I watch The Wire. Best part of the day!

1 Comments:

Blogger RJ said...

Why wasn't this post really about the broken window theory (which I totally subscribe to, by the way)?

Also, why on earth can semi companys get away with this sort of crap? I mean, if I equipped my car to fire machine guns at people every so often, and accidentally killed a man going over a bump or something, I'd get all locked up. Or if I'm playing baseball in my backyard and I break someone's window, I still have to pay.

Plus, truckers drive like total a-holes, refusing to get out of the left lane, cutting people off, racing each other at 35 mph down the expressway, and wearing stupid hats. Let's throw them down the well.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home