It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Stories and Conventions
I read this interesting article (suprisingly) at Malcolm Gladwell's website. I was expecting some fluff, like how eating Kraft Easy Mac three times a week leads to an increase in left-handedness and then absolutely nothing about why this matters, but instead was treated to a book review of "Why?", by Charles Tilly, which I fully intend to order off of Amazon but most likely will never get around to doing it.

Anyway, interesting excerpt-
Some social situations don't lend themselves to the easy reconciliation of reason and role. In Jonathan Franzen's novel "The Corrections," for example, one of the characters, Gary, is in the midst of a frosty conversation with his wife, Caroline. Gary had the sense, Franzen writes, "that Caroline was on the verge of accusing him of being 'depressed,' and he was afraid that if the idea that he was depressed gained currency, he would forfeit his right to his opinions. . . . Every word he spoke would become a symptom of disease; he would never again win an argument." Gary was afraid, in other words, that a technical account of his behavior—the explanation that he was clinically depressed—would trump his efforts to use the stories and conventions that permitted him to be human. But what was his wife to do? She wanted him to change.
Why this excerpt? It reminds of a recent frosty conversation between a somewhat inebriated Redness and his wife. I'd explain, but everyone who reads this was there and should see the parallels...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mair said...

very interesting. J. Morgan will probably jump on this bandwagon and talk about how technical/medical language robs us of our "humanness" and interrupts the narrative of what makes us human. I probably agree, but I'll leave it to him to articulate.

As an aside...a somewhat inebriated Redhurt is quite entertaining.

12:08 PM  
Blogger RJ said...

As opposed to a totally sober Redhurt, who is, unabashedly, boring as sin, right?

Come on!

1:05 PM  
Blogger RJ said...

I was explaining this to K, but the deal works like this: at all times, but especially after drinking, I'm trying to get everyone to pay positive attention - usually to laugh at, but sometimes to admire - me, and the rules go like this: I do or say something I think pushes some limit. If you react positively, I'll push it further. There's no upper bound, assuming no one gets hurt, and even then I can't say for sure, especially if that someone is Nick. This basic rule holds true regardless of whether I'm drunk or not. The only real difference between me drunk and sober is that drunk I'm much less likely to remember what I said and probably less witty. I also forget to close the door to the bathroom, but that's another story.

anyway, thanks for the opportunity to talk about myself. if anyone else wants to talk about me, I'll be at Lenins.

my verification word is "EUWTF", which I think speaks for itself as "EU? Wtf?!"

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home