It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Friday, December 02, 2005
The Rescuers Down Under
This won't be too long, since comments are still going strong on Cogito Ergo Sum and I don't want to ruin it. I've been paying limited attention to the efforts by Australians to stay the execution of Nguyen Tuong Van, an effort which proved ineffective. Granted, I don't think drug trafficking should be punishable by death, and I don't think hanging really is the most humane method of capital punishment, but I don't think the situation deserved the level of sympathy that has been reported by the global press. Australians have held candle-lit vigils, symbolically rang gongs, and shed tears while stroking the face of a portrait of the convicted heroin mule. Among the mourners was Australian Douglas Wood, a former Iraqi hostage. This strikes me as ironic, as I don't remember any large scale Australian demonstrations pleading for the life of Doug-y back in the day. Twisted priorities? I think so.

If anything, I think this proves the success of capital punishment by the Singaporean(?) authorities. I remember a few years ago when I vowed never to egg cars in Singapore lest I get a good soak and vigorous caning like Michael Fay, and a few days ago when I made up my mind not to carry copious amounts of drugs into Singapore.

Whether or not one thinks capital punishment legally or morally justified, I don't think that there can be any doubt of the preventative measure inherent in a good, well publicized hanging. Singapore has sent a Tyler Durden-esque message to would-be criminals in the world- "Do not FUCK with us!" and you know what? I'm cool with that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home