It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Monday, April 16, 2007
So It Goes...
Since I'm leaving work in a few months and 90% of what I used to do was related to things now made irrelevant by my leaving, I am now in possession of exactly what it was that I decided to force the issue with work over: time. It's fantastic.

Today I finished up early and took off to Barnes and Noble where I sat in the cafe and knocked out Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five in an hour. Now that I've completed it, I vaguely remember reading it a long ways back- most likely something I picked up and read because of its pariah status. I don't understand the movement behind banning books. I can understand why certain individuals would protest a certain book's place in educational required reading, but the effort to remove it completely from the library seems counter-productive. Slaughterhouse Five is a book that I never would have read before if I hadn't been curious to figure out what exactly was so offensive, and it always seems that the material is never worth the fuss. Slaughterhouse Five is certainly no Backdoor Sluts 9. (By the way, that link is totally SFW, feel free to click the link if you don't get the reference.) As for Vonnegut's death, well, so it goes.

After, I was driving home when I passed by a section of Lake Erie where the wind was whipping waves through a hole in the breakwall protecting a marina and trapping them up against a pier and another breakwall on the coast. The waves rebounding off the coastal breakwall were interfering with the ones being driven in, churning the water into enormous swells that would sometimes slap against the pier, washing up against the rocks and pouring onto the walkway. I happened to be in the lane adjacent to the pier exit, and I happened to have my camera in my coat pocket (the reason I bought an ultra thin camera ) so I pulled off to take some pictures. I walked out next to the railing just in time to fully experience the phenomenon, as crest met crest next to the pier, splashing thirty feet up into the air, cascading over the side, drenching me in filty, probably flammable, Lake Erie water. I had intended to wait out a bit to capture some of the more impressive waves, but the thirty plus mile an hour wind on a forty degree day off the water coupled with my soaking had a negative effect on my enthusiasm. I took some video that is a bit more impressive than the following pictures, but I don't have the time to upload it to YouTube and then embed it back in Blogger, so this is what you get.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mair said...

Good ole' Lake Erie. I used to eat fish from there growing up in Eastlake. Hmmm...

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home