It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Saturday, June 25, 2005
Extraordinary Rendition
An Italian judge has ordered thirteen people associated with the CIA arrested after the apparent "kidnapping" of Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr. Nasr was apparently abducted in February and returned to Egypt, where he claims to have been tortured, as part of the "extraordinary rendition" program used by the CIA since the mid-nineties.

With all the uproar over alleged abuses at Gitmo, I'm suprised that so little has been said about the increased use of rendition to deal with the interrogation of suspected terrorists. Rather than plagarize extensively on the reported abuses for this post, I'll post a link here. I think you'll find it more interesting than what either Karl Rove or Turban Durbin has said recently. Speaking of Rove, American Dad had a fairly humorous parody of him last Sunday.

While I don't personally agree with the practice, I'm not calling for an end to rendition or public inquiries into the practices of the CIA. While in no way is it morally defendable, necessary, or in most cases, legal, I find myself unable to get as worked up about it as I do about how much I hate regular season baseball (cut the season down to less than fifty games so each one means something) or the fifteen people that got off I-75 at exit 354 ahead of me. (There is a yield sign and an extra lane for people turning right so they don't have to stop, but it doesn't work if you come to a complete stop at the yield sign- each person who did it wrong got a sustained horn blast.)

Lastly, after posting a 73 in the Saturday morning skins game and not taking money for the first time, it has become apparent to me that I couldn't putt a ball into the ocean were I standing on a dock...

2 Comments:

Blogger RJ said...

I'm upset about extraordinary rendition. I don't want the CIA to have to explain everything it does, but I don't want our country to be able to condemn terrorism on one hand and export foreign nationals for interrogation at the hands of terrorists on another.

great post as usual.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Thanks again, now if I could only get people besides you to comment...

I'm really suprised you don't hear more against it, I can only imagine what would happen if we found out someone did it to an American citizen. Although crusading against our already poor intelligence community can't be too popular a platform for a senator these days...

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home