It's like Mardi Gras meets the bombing of Dresden...
Friday, June 24, 2005
On the lighter side:
No heavy political post today. I spent my afternoon at work commenting on posts over at redhurt and pragmaticism, so I'll stick with some lighter fare.

I now co-host (I'm more of the Ed McMahon to the host's Carson) the number one rated golf show on Espn Radio in Central Florida. Basically, it's one hour every Friday rehasing the latest news and events dealing with professional and amateur golf, although my boss does a good job of keeping it from being esoteric (Think PTI- mostly sports, but some randomness thrown in to keep it interesting and actually- my role is like statboy, only i'm involved during the conversation). Lest you think I got this because I'm somehow qualified, I'll admit I'm the worst co-host on radio today. I'd throw in the face for radio joke, but it isn't funny. I came down to Florida specifically to do an internship with the guy who hosts the show (an excellent teaching professional), and this got lumped in with some other golf stuff.

I'll give you an example of my radio incompetence: today we interviewed Dr. Rick Jensen, a sports psychologist who works with players such as Retief Goosen. My boss did all of the interview (which went well) and I turned off my mike to talk to another guy in the studio. Right when the interview wrapped up, I was asked for my opinion. As I hadn't been paying attention, my opinion went sort of like this:

"Uh, uh. It was really good, Dr. Jensen brought up some really interesting points, um..."

Seeing I was floundering/totally incompetent, my boss segued to a commercial break. However, he lobbed me softballs the rest of the show and I got out with shreds of my self-esteem still intact (I nailed some trivia related to the 2000 British Open and gave some relevant commentary about Jack playing his final Open Championship) However, some people I know who listen have told me I make a good addition to the show. Whether they are genuine or just nice people has yet to be decided...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home